bad-min-ton n. A sport played by volleying a shuttlecock back and forth over a high narrow net by
means of a light, long-handled racket. (American Heritage Dictionary)
bad-min-ton n. Something bored people do at picnics with relatives they see once a year. (Pauli)

Sunday, November 19, 2006

"Emotard"

My wife and I have been reading a great book, The 5 Love Languages. It's very insightful, but I, as usual, have to make a lot of love language jokes to supplement the insights. For example, when the author used the phrase "emotionally retarded", it immediately evoked an abbreviation from my brain.

"Honey, as a male I know I can be a real emotard," I delivered with a straight face to Lissa which almost caused her to go into a laugh spasm.

"Don't ever say the word emotard ever again," she warned wiping tears from her eyes.

I did look it up, well, Googled it; generally "emotard" is a derogatory term which is already in use. It refers negatively to practitioners of the music style "Emo" which, as far as I can tell from my brief research, seems to be short for "emotional" embrace many styles of alternative, punk and hardcore punk, but rebranded sometime in the early 90's since a lot of people thought punk music was dead.

But for older fogeys who don't run in the cool circles nor follow the hip kiddie trends and jargon, emotard seems like a great slang word for "emotional retard." But I can't use it at home -- that's probably a good thing.

No comments: